"Flowers for Algernon" by
Here is the vocabulary.
Here is the "FFA"
How does our society treat people with mental
If you had a chance to be (a lot) smarter, would you
How important is intelligence to you?
Actual Rorschach Test
Examples of pics used in the Thematic Apperception Test:
Quiz 1 (p84-90 -- Reports
1-7) (10 points) Check responding and PRs.
Why did Charlie have trouble with the Thematic Apperception
(2) The main reason they want to use Charlie for this operation
is his motivation. Give two examples that show how motivated he is to "be
What was Algernon's "motor-vation" for running the maze?
What possible down-side of the operation is Miss Kinnian
How much will the operation increase Charlie's intelligence?
Dr. Strauss/Dr. Nemur. Which one seems to be on Charlie's
The first thing he learns when the operation is over is...
What does Dr. Strauss want to see more of in Charlie's progress
Why would the scientists have Charlie race Algernon, and
(Bonus for extra credit!) Before the operation, Dr. Nemur
and Dr. Strauss are talking too fast, and using vocabulary too advanced
for Charlie to follow it all. Help him out. Figure out which word Charlie
was trying to get. Yes, you have to spell it correctly. (3 = +1)
intelek_____, ment_____, host______, uncoop_______,
apath_______, _____vity, achev______, comparat______,
What makes Charlie want to be friends with Algernon?
(2) "a card" = _________ "potted" = _________
Why does Miss Kinnian "get something in her eye" as she is
reading Charlie's progress reports and talking to him about them?
How does Charlie's interest in Robinson Crusoe compared to
his reactions to the Thematic Apperception Test and the Rorschach Test
show how much he's changed? a) He can tell lies now. b) He can imagine
something beyond the literal. c) He can spell better. d) He has a
longer attention span.
Dr. Strauss tells Charlie he can study all the college subjects,
except_________, until he gives permission.
(2) Dr. Strauss compares IQ to _______, while Dr. Nemur compares
Which one does Burt, the guy who administers the IQ tests
When Charlie takes the Rorschach test again, he...a) still
doesn't get it. b) is confused because Burt words the instructions
differently. c) is worried he still won't find the pictures.
d) can only see one thing in each blot.
As Charlie's intelligence starts to increase, he notices
that everyone seems to be...a) supportive of him. b) hateful toward
him. c) ignoring him. d) afraid of him.
At the top of p106, Miss Kinnian again worries that the operation
may have been a mistake. This time it's not about the fact that it might
be temporary, but that...
1. What does Fanny Girden compare Charlie's
2. What makes Charlie realize that he has surpassed even
Dr. Strauss in intelligence?
3. Give an example of what Charlie calls "simple, everyday"
conversation with Miss Kinnian.
4. Charlie's first reaction to the dishwasher dropping
the dishes was...?
5. His second reaction was to....?
6. What does Charlie say "hurts most of all" now that
he has realized people were laughing at him?
7. To what does Charlie compare his great desire to be
smart, his need to increase his low intelligence (p112)?
Reread the poem "the lesson
of the moth" on p250. How does this relate to Charlie?
Charlie Check (8)
1. What is the first foreshadowing that
Charlie's operation might be temporary?
2. How does Charlie's "motor-vation"
help him now that he realizes he might lose his intelligence?
3. (p115) What does Charlie mean by "rest
upon the ashes of the work"?
4. Reread the report for June 10 (p117).
What is the the tone of Charlie's report? a) emotional. b)
fearful. c) matter-of-fact. d) hopeful.
5. Reread lines 1050 and 1051 (p117).
Translate Charlie's hypothesis.
6. When it becomes clear that Charlie
is losing his intelligence, he...a) blames Dr. Strauss and the others.
b) remembers that he knew the risks. c) is mad at Miss Kinnian for
encouraging him. d) a and b.
7. Name one of the things Charlie tries
to do, but can't any more.
8. In what order is Charlie losing
1. (p121) What does the doctor's wink
at Mrs. Flynn mean?
2. What's the "Charlie Gordon" that Charlie
3. Why does Charlie leave NY?
4. (Quote) Is Charlie happier at the
beginning of the story or the end?
5. Which of the following is probably
closest to expressing the theme of "FFA"? a) Smart people get treated better.
b) Intelligence matters more than how people feel. c) Enjoy life experiences
to the fullest no matter how brief. d) You shouldn't try to be something