|Vocabulary, October 27 -- Eighth Grade
benign, countenance (n and v), legerdemain, coagulate, lethargic, malignant, stalwart, tithe, succumb
5. Doing no harm.
8. Antonym for 5A.
1. Sleight of hand.
1. An old man was carried on the shoulders
of his __________ son to see Kino sell the pearl.
2. He paid a portion of his paycheck as a _________ to the church.
3. The pearl buyer sat in his chair practicing ___________ with a coin in his fingers.
4. After the lid was left off, the honey __________(ed) and finally hardened.
5. (2) Santa Claus is supposed to have a very _________ __________, with a twinkle in his eye and rosy cheeks.
6. After the initial rush, sugar causes you to be ___________ a short time later.
7. (2) She finally __________(ed) to the ____________ tumor.
8. The pearl buyers couldn't _____________ paying the pearl divers a fair price.
9. weak : ________ :: malignant : benign
10. win : triumph :: concede : _________
1. (2) The ___________ wages of that job
barely kept his family at ___________ level.
2. The building was a glass and steel box; tall and ___________.
3. The student prayed an angel would _____________ for him, and save him from the exam.
4. The little boy grew quite ________ when he didn't get the candy he wanted.
5. The arguing ______________ (ed) the fight.
6. Your comment is not __________ to the topic we are discussing.
7. He stood on the high dive ______________(ly), afraid to even look down.
monolithic, irresolute, petulant, intercede, germane, meager, subsistence, precipitate
1. The villagers of La Paz needed someone
to _______for them, and help them to be treated fairly.
2. Much of the agriculture in the rest of the world is made up of ________ farms, that barely grow enough food for the family working on it.
3. You cannot be ___________ when you are applying for a job; you have to look like you are eager for the challenge.
4. The structure of the society of La Paz was almost _____________; it had been that way for hundreds of years and seemed like it would stand forever.
5. The food servings at the wedding were pretty __________ for such a rich family.
6. His aggressive driving __________(ed) the road rage incident.
7. "Any sound that was not ________ to the night would make them alert."
8. "And the baby was weary and _________, and he cried softly until Juana gave him" milk.
9. "Ahead were the naked granite mountains, rising out of erosion rubble and standing ________ against the sky."
10. The weatherman predicted ___________(ion) for Thursday.